skip to main content

Food Services

FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About School Meal Programs



Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Do not fill out more than one application for your household.


Who can receive free meals?

Children in households getting Food Stamps or the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program (TANF) and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. In addition, your children can get free meals if your household income is within the free limits on Federal Income Guidelines. Each foster child must be listed on a separate application, with Part 2 completed and include an adult signature.


Who can get reduced price meals?

Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Chart, shown on the Free & Reduced Lunch Application.


Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced price meals?

Please read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. Please contact your school building administrator if you have questions.


I get WIC; can my children get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.


Will the information I give be checked?

The school may ask you at any time during the school year to verify your eligibility. You will be notified, in writing, if you have been selected for Verification. School officials may ask you to send papers showing that your child should receive free or reduced price meals at the time you applied.


If I do not qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting Food Stamps, TANF or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals.


What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Dr. Sam Gergis, Assistant Superintendent for Finance & Management Services at (631) 730-1520, South Country Central School District, Business Office, 189 North Dunton Avenue, East Patchogue, NY 11772.


May I apply if someone in my household is not a U. S. citizen?

Yes. You or your child do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.


Whom should I include as members of my household?

You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.


What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally earn $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only earned $900, put down your earnings as $1000 per month. If you normally earn overtime, include it, but not if you receive it only sometimes.



Saturday, July 11, 2020
SCCSD Mascot