STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, but it's not something that can be simply defined. To truly understand non-superficial STEM education, the idea of perspective and a variety of innovative instructional practices must be considered. Essential to establishing a strong STEM culture is developing the right mind set and people within the school district. A solid commitment to the STEM initiative by the professional educators, local School Board members, industry partners, and community is the only formula of success that has been proven to work.
K-12 STEM education encompasses the processes of critical thinking, analysis, and collaboration in which students integrate the processes and concepts in real world contexts of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, fostering the development of STEM skills and competencies for college, career, and life.
To ensure South Country Central School District students become inspired learners and prepared leaders who can solve the challenges of a world of emerging STEM careers. The STEM department will provide leadership, support, and resources to allow for the design and implementation of effective STEM learning environments and prepare students to make informed decisions on STEM issues and careers.
The STEM department will design all projects and activities around these three goals:
1. Ensure all students have access to STEM education opportunities;
2. Ensure all students have access to highly effective STEM educators; and
3. Leverage the stakeholder resources and partnerships to strengthen the STEM education effort of each school.
To ensure our vision is realized, indicators of success are being developed to measure
• STEM Readiness of Graduates;
• STEM Access for all Students; and
• STEM Teacher Recruitment, Retention, and Expertise
South Country School Central District will prepare and inspire all of its students to seize the opportunities of the global society through innovation, inquiry, collaboration, and creative problem solving.
- Increase Access
- Increase Resources
- Increase Readiness
- STEM Framework
- Integrate STEM into Assessment and Accountability Systems
- Provide quality standard based instruction
- Incorporate project based learning and problem solving